What's in your backyard?

Jeff Lendrum spent a great deal of 2008 photographing the Harley Davidson Museum.  Harley Davidson published two beautiful books featuring all Jeff's photography.  When I'm in Milwaukee visiting clients and friends, I'll occasionally ask them if they have visited the Harley Museum that opened in July 2008, and more often than not, people will respond by saying "no, not yet." I know I shouldn't find this odd since it's right in their own backyard, but let me tell you why.

1000 Islands Environmental Center was established in 1969, by the city of Kaukauna.  The Conservancy Zone now encompasses 350 acres, with 7.2 miles of trails.  The purpose of the Center is to preserve the land along the Fox River for the people to enjoy.  I'm sorry to say it took me 40 years before I took the opportunity to experience it.  I've lived in the Fox Cities all my life and the Environmental Center is only a 6 mile drive from my home.  I spent Saturday snowshoeing the trails and I know I'll be back in Spring to see an entirely different landscape.  There are times in life when we search for the greener grass on the other side, but here's a perfect example of finding the beauty in our own backyard.

Comments

  1. Have you ever been to Hartmans Creek state park in Waupaca? It has great trails for snowshoeing & skiing (and biking in the summer). Fun getaway that is still close to home!
    ps. kool pic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts