Living "Cage Free"


   A few years ago, I learned about "cage free" eggs when I met John Brunquell, president of Egg Innovations. Their eggs are produced on family farms, not factory farms. If you're health conscious, concerned about animal welfare and love eggs, then this product is for you. "Cage free" means the birds are free to socialize with their peers. They're also free of drugs, hormones, antibiotics or by-products used to stimulate productivity. Most of the egg production is done at Amish and Mennonite farms in Indiana and Ohio and the eggs can be purchased across the country at specialty and select grocery stores. 
 
  Recently I learned my cousin's 13 year old son Tyler was raising chickens. With my "cage free" interest in Egg Innovations, I had to check out Tyler's operation. Of course he was following the "cage free" system. He researched the ins and outs of raising chickens for a year before his parents gave in and allowed him to start his small production of a dozen chickens and a few roosters. I was so impressed with his passion and interest in his birds and egg production. The eggs are great too!

Comments

  1. Nice story and so nice to see a young teen really interested in healthy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good information on cage free. I am posting a photo of cage free eggs on my site on Friday. What a coincidence to read your information. I am also impressed to learn about your cousin's son. wow. good for him. an entrepreneur in the making. I am glad you enjoyed the Frank Lloyd Wright photo on my site. You will enjoy the weather as it has been really nice. I am signing up as a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're getting a preview of the next pres. of Egg Innovations.... seriously, that is great to see the passion in a young person. He will definitely be a success in whatever it is he decides to do with his life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an egg farm nearby with cage free eggs. It's open 24/7. There's an a hut where you grab as many eggs that you need ant then just write down your name on a paper and but the money ina little box on a table. You can have a look here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steffe/2717617214/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts